Course Information / クラスとレッスン
As of October 2020, we are offering the following classes and lessons. If you have any questions, or if you would like us to create a class/lesson for your specific needs, do not hesitate to ask.
If you have already learned Japanese elsewhere, please ask for a placement interview/test.
I. Video-Call Lessons for Adults and Young People (US Eastern Time)
Learn to speak Japanese on video calls! At the beginning levels, we will focus on good pronunciation, practical vocabulary, and grammar. Our textbook (Minna-no-Nihongo vol. 1) comes in two editions (Romanized and Hiragana) and you can choose either one in our class. For people who wish to learn hiragana, we will walk with you through the strokes using extra time for free.
> Group Level 1 (Absolute Beginning Level 1) 2021 Summer Tuesday Afternoon Class
- Day/Time: Tuesdays 5:15PM-6:45PM (US Eastern Time)
- Dates: 7/6, 7/13, 7/20, 7/27, 8/3, 8/10, 8/17, 8/24, 8/31, 9/7
- Fees: $300 for Level 1. The class meets once a week for 10 weeks.
- Purpose of the level: Speaking basic Japanese by: learnning basic sounds, expressions and greetings, learning basic grammar (XXX wa YYY desu) and numbers including how to tell time.
- Class size: Maximum 6, but it depends on the students. We will keep a right to stop enrolling at 4 if we think it’s necessary to pay attention to each student.
- Requirement: No prior knowledge of Japanese, including hiragana, katakana or kanji (Chinese characters).
- Textbooks: Please obtain “Minna-no-Nihongo Beginning Level vol. 1, Second Edition” published by Three A Network. This book is a set of two: Main Textbook and its Supplementary Grammar Explanation Book. Both come in Hiragana Edition and Romanized Edition, and you can choose either one. We will finish them in six Levels (each level is for ten weeks, so about a year or so). A CD comes with the book for listening practice, so you will need a boombox or something to play it on. If ordered online, the set is about $57-66 before taxes and shipping fee (as of June 2021).
- SPECIAL OFFER: We will offer you a free one-month intensive hiragana course if you are interested. Please inquire for details.
- Attention: If you are interested in passing the level N5 in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test in December 2022, it is a good timing to start! (You will need to continue at least until you finish Level 5)
> Group Level 5 (Beginner Level 5) Tuesday Evening Class
- Day/Time: Tuesdays 7:00PM-8:30PM (US Eastern Time)
- Dates: 7/20, 7/27, 8/3, 8/10, 8/17, 8/24, 8/31, 9/7, 9/14, 9/21
- Please call for a video-call placement interview/test.
- Fee for instruction: $300 (including any necessary catch up lessons)
- Textbooks: Please refer to the “Textbook” section of Group Level 1 Monday Evening Class.
> Group Upper Intermediate Level Saturday Morning Class
- Day/Time: Saturdays, 11:15AM-12:45PM
- Dates: Please inquire (ongoing)
- Class fee: $300 for 10 weeks. Fee will be pro-rated depending on the day you join.
- Textbooks: 『みんなの日本語中級II』スリーエーネットワーク Main textbook and Supplementary Book for Grammar/Vocabulary.
> Preparation for the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) with A Free Introductory Meeting with a Trial Lesson
From N5 to N1, we will give you advice on your preparation. For details, please click:
=> JLPT Preparation (Currently under construction)
> Private (One-On-One) Instruction for All Levels
The goal is up to you: For your general interest in Japanese and Japan, for traveling, tutoring, catching up with your class at high school or university, reading Japanese novels or manga, it can be anything. We will discuss your goal and work on a curriculum planned just for you. Lessons start from the beginning of the month.
Fee: $480 for 10-hour lessons, $198 for 4-hour lessons or $59/hr. Special discount is available for people preparing for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. A video-call open house (and/or placement interview/test) with a free sample lesson is available. For details, please inquire.
> Private group lessons
If you would like to learn with your family member(s) or friend(s), we can offer a special rate for you. For details, please inquire.
II. In-Person Japanese Classes and Lessons (Charleston, SC area only)
> Group Level 1 (Beginning Level 1) 2021 Summer Monday Morning Class*
- Day/Time: Mondays 10:00 AM-11:30 AM (US Eastern Time)
- Dates: 7/5, 7/12 , 7/19, 7/26, 8/2, 8/9, 816, 8/23, 8/30 and 9/6
- Age: 16 or older. Please consult if the students are younger.
- For Fee and Textbooks, please refer to Video Call Lessons
- Class size: Please refer to Video Call Lessons
- Place: Amity Language Institute
*If you are interested in a group lesson but don’t know which level you belong to, please ask for a placement interview/test.
> Private instruction for All levels
Lessons start from the beginning of the month. For details, please refer to the Private Instruction in the Video-Call Lessons section, or inquire directly.
Note: General information for Beginning Level Classes and lessons (for Both Video-Call and In-Person lessons)
Class time: Unless otherwise noted, classes (group lessons) meet once a week. Each level is for ten lessons of 90 minutes (or fifteen instructional hours, except Level 1 for which we often teach up to 30 minutes longer each time. Please inquire for details). A free open house/sample lesson for you or/and your friends is available upon request. If you have a schedule conflict (for your vacation, business trip, etc.), please consult for the possibility of a free make-up lesson.
Lesson fee: Basically, the lesson fee is $300 for 10 weeks (15 hours) for any beginner/intermediate level if your class continues to the next level.
Textbooks: This is a duplicate content but the book fee is not included in the lesson fee. The fee of the books for group lessons is about $57-66 depending on the online store (a set of two) and the students must obtain them by themselves. One set of books is good for at least 6 levels or about a year (during your beginning or low intermediate levels).
Class size: 6 students or fewer (depending on the students)
Cancellation policy: Please refer to the registration form, we will send it to you by e-mail upon request.