My name Yuko, I am from Japan and have a 30+ years of experience in teaching Japanese in the US.
Whatever your purpose of learning is, and whatever your level is, let me try to help you. It will be a wonderful experience for both of us.
Since I moved to Charleston, SC, in 2018, I have been helping people to learn Japanese on Skype and in-person. They are in a small group and one-on-one settings. During the lessons, I use English in explaining for lower level students and gradually increase Japanese.
If you have any questions, if anything of our program interests you, or if you would like us to create a class/lesson for your specific needs, do not hesitate to ask.
1. Video-Call Lessons for Adults and Young People (US Eastern Time)
Learn to speak Japanese on video calls! At the beginning levels, we will focus on good pronunciation, practical vocabulary, and grammar. The textbook (Minna-no-Nihongo vol. 1) comes in two editions (Romanized and Hiragana) and you can choose either one in our class. For people who wish to learn hiragana, we will walk with you even outside the class time.
JOIN! Ongoing: Group Level 1 (Beginner Level 1) Monday Evening Class*
- Day/Time: Mondays 7:00PM-8:30PM (US Eastern Time)
- Dates: 6/1, 8, 15, 22, 29, 7/6, 13, 20, 27, 8/3
- Requirement: No prior knowledge of Japanese, including hiragana, is required. However, we will be very happy to teach you hiragana at your wish and when we think is good time for you to start. Oh, you need to understand my English, though, so it will be good for you to call me on Skype at least once.
- Fee: $30 (This is a 90% discount on the regular rate) The fee will be the same if you join in the middle of the course. In this case, we will give you a good catch-up lesson or two!
- Textbooks: By the first lesson, please obtain “Minna-no-Nihongo Beginning Level vol. 1” published by Three A Network. We have only a few in stock. This book comes in two parts: Main Textbook and its Supplementary Grammar Explanation Book. Both come in Hiragana Version and Romanized Version, so you can choose. If you don’t know which one to choose, please contact us. An “old-fashioned” CD comes with the book for listening practice, so please prepare a small boombox or something to play it on.
- Maximum number of students in a class: 6
*If you have already learned Japanese elsewhere, please ask for a placement interview/test.
JOIN! Group Intermediate Level 2 Saturday Morning Class
- Day/Time: Saturdays, 11:15AM-12:45PM
- Dates: Please inquire (ongoing)
- Fee: $300 for 10 weeks. Fee will be pro-rated depending on the day you join.
Note: Unless otherwise noted, classes meet once a week. Each level is for ten lessons of 90 minutes (or fifteen instructional hours, except Level 1 for which we often teach up to 30 minutes longer each time. Please inquire for details). A free open house/sample lesson for you or/and your friends is available upon request. If you have a schedule conflict (for your vacation, business trip, etc.), please consult for the possibility of a free make-up lesson.
Basically, the lesson fee is $300 for 10 weeks (15 hours) for any level if your class continues to the next level.
Book fee is not included in the lesson fee. The fee of the books for group lessons is about $80 (a set of two). One set of books is good for at least 6 levels (during your beginning or intermediate levels). For advanced-level students, people preparing for the JLPT, and private lesson students, we will discuss the books directly with you. Please ask for the details.
For cancellation policies, please ask for the registration form.
Free Consultation for JLPT Preparation Class for the December 2020 Test
If they offer the JLPT in December 2020 and you would like to pass it, you should start now! Please inquire for details.
If you would like to learn with your family member(s) or friend(s), we can offer a special rate for you. For details, please inquire.
Private Instruction for All Levels
The goal is up to you: For your general interest in Japanese and Japan, for traveling, tutoring, catching up with your school work, reading Japanese novels or manga, it can be anything. We will discuss to set a goal and the period and work on a structure planned just for you. Lessons start from the beginning of the month. We will also discuss the schedule with you. We will hear your learning history and the goals, and offer you a curriculum and books/study materials. Fee: $198 for 4-hour lessons or $59/hr. Special discount is available for JLPT preparation. Skype open house (and/or placement interview/test) with a free sample lesson is available. For details, please inquire.
2. In-Person Japanese Classes and Lessons (Charleston, SC area only)
NEW! Starting: Group Level 1 (Beginning Level 1) Monday Morning Class*
- Day/Time: Mondays 10:00PM-11:30PM (US Eastern Time)
- Dates: 6/1, 8, 15, 22, 29, 7/6, 13, 20, 27, 8/3
- For Fee, Requirement, Textbooks, Max. Number of Students, please refer to Skype Lessons
- Place: Amity Language Institute
*If you are interested in a group lesson but don’t know which level you belong to, please ask for a placement interview/test.
Private instruction for All levels
Lessons start from the beginning of the month. For details, please refer to the Private Instruction in the Video-Call Lessons section, or inquire directly.